Why Omnia W Windows 8 Upgrade Isn’t Possible From WP 7.5
Windows Phone 8 was revealed officially just a few days ago after Microsoft Surface came into light. WP 8 is said to be biggest update to Windows Phone and revolutionizing too but on your current phone maybe Lumia or Omnia W Windows 8 Upgrade isn’t possible.
Here are the reasons why:
Omnia W Windows 8 Upgrade Incompatibility
- Windows Phone 8 is actually not an upgrade to the operating system your existing smartphone is running i.e. Windows Phone 7. Although, WP8 looks quite similar on interface and functionality but it has been developed from scratch so, everything under the hood is different.
- Windows Phone 8 opens up has to do with higher resolutions, multi-core processors and technologies like near-field communication (NFC) — technologies current Windows Phones simply don’t have.
- Now, you have a Windows Phone that can run Applications but with Windows Phone 8, you will have a Computer that will be able to make Phone calls. This is the basic and complete difference between WP7 and Windows Phone 8.
- Windows Phone 7 is based on Windows CE however Windows Phone 8 has the same kernel that of Windows 8 you are running on Computer Desktop.
- Windows Phone 8 has much more in common with Windows 8 and Windows RT than previous generations of Windows Phone.
So, simply you cannot run Windows Phone 8 on the system designed for Windows Phone 7.
Get to know Windows Phone 8 in detail and you’ll realize what exactly you are missing.
Why no Windows 8 Upgrade From WP 7.5
Users will still argue that why didn’t Microsoft didn’t take efforts to bring Windows 8 to Omnia and Lumia and other existing phones in market running WP 7.5 when Hardware is often adaptable.
On this issue, Greg Sullivan, Microsoft’s senior marketing manager for Windows Phone said “Yes, that would have been possible but the cost would have been severe, and the benefits would have been minimal. All of the work we would have had to do to get it on this architecture — and then there’s no benefit.”
OK, then what do you get? No possibility of Omnia W Windows 8 upgrade doesn’t mean there are no donuts for you. You still get the most visible improvement in WP8 which is its awesome customizable Homescreen. Also, Microsoft says it’ll continue to support the previous Windows Phone OS.
This will all be included in intermediate version, called Windows Phone 7.8. Though it will not have the main innovation (the shared kernel) but bring many visual and performance improvements.
Windows Phone 7.8 For Omnia W
- Start Screen: Windows Phone 7.8 will receive the visual enhancements of Windows Phone 8, both will look same.
- Share Camera: The camera will receive improvements, the most prominent is Smart Group Photo, a feature which lets you take a flash photo of a group and then chooses the best for each individual face, making a composite of the best.
- Contact Share: now you can share contact details via SMS or e-mail.
- Data usage counters.
- PlayTo: lets you share music, video or photos with other DLNA compatible devices.
- Zynga games.
Read more about what’s new in Windows Phone 7.8
So, when Samsung Omnia W Windows 8 upgrade isn’t possible, users still have a reason to smile instead of weeping silently. After all, you are getting something and not left orphan.